More than ever Colleges & Universities are into food literacy, specifically educating students on where their food originates. Here are some of the most recent college & university promotions showcasing how mushrooms are cultivated, demonstrating ideas that students love and generally making mushrooms cool for generations to come. Learn more about Hosting a Successful Demo.
In its continued partnership with the Mushroom Council, USC Hospitality introduced “The Blend” to a larger sample of the Trojan Family in a retail environment during Homecoming, which is typically one of the busiest days of the year.
- Learn more about what was served at the USC Homecoming here.
Mushrooms, The Secret Ingredient in Yale’s Final Cut Cooking Competition
The Mushroom Council was proud to participate in the 6th Annual Yale University “Final Cut” Culinary Competition. Teams of students from each of the 12 residential colleges battled in an Iron Chef style format, in which they had to prepare an appetizer and main course dish using fresh mushrooms and Atlantic salmon.
- See who won the Copper Pot Trophy and took home $1,000 here.
Meat Meets Mushrooms at Texas A&M
Students in the Lone Star State soaked in all the knowledge they could about mushrooms while experiencing a cooking demo by Food Network Chef Jehangir Mehta. They sampled chef’s blended mushroom burgers while learning about the many benefits of mushrooms.
- See how Chef Mehta engaged students around mushrooms & kicked off a larger Earth Day event here.
The University of Washington Celebrated Mushroom MAY-nia
The University of Washington hosted a week long “Mushroom May-nia” promotion to educate students about the many benefits of mushrooms. Several of the school’s dining halls served a rotating menu of mushroom dishes all week. Mushroom May-nia excitement grew as students were ready to welcome Food Network celebrity Chef, Jehangir Mehta for live cooking demos on how to blend meat with mushrooms for delicious, nutritious, sustainable food.
- Learn more about the University of Washington’s week long Mushroom MAY-nia event here.
California Students Love Mushrooms
University of Southern California, long a leader in college foodservice, dedicated a full week to a major mushroom promotion. Calling it Mushroomrapalooza, USC virtually turned over the entire campus to mushrooms. Starting with a competition among their chefs to see who could cook the best mushroom dish, it culminated with virtually every
dining hall and every retail outlet featuring mushroom dishes.
- See how USC turned their entire campus over to mushrooms here.
University of North Texas Students Go Crazy for Celebrity Chef Maneet Chauhan
It’s true, college students everywhere love mushrooms. During UNT’s Mushroom Mania festival, The Mushroom Council and Food Network celebrity chef Maneet Chauhan, educated students on mushroom nutrition, sustainability, as well as how mushrooms grow.
- See how Chef Maneet excited students at UNT’s Mushroom Mania Event here.
Mushroom Mania at the University of Massachusetts
One of the pioneers in college dining hosted a week long “Mushroom Mania” promotion to educate students about mushrooms. During the week, Mushroom Mania “toured” campus visiting four of UMass’ popular dining halls. Students ate everything from Portabella “Burgers,” and Jamaican Jerk Mushroom Lettuce Wraps with Papaya Salsa.
- Learn about all the other ways UMass enticed mushroom trials on campus here.
Earth Day is Mushroom Day at Campuses Around the Country
Earth Day is one of the most popular promotional opportunities for colleges and universities. Sustainability is perhaps the number one issue on campus when it comes to food and dining. So it’s not surprising that a number of universities around the country celebrated Earth Day with mushroom promotions.
- See how Southeast Missouri, Bowling Green, Texas A&M and University of Wisconsin celebrated Earth Day here.
Cornell Caps Off Mushroom Day
Mushroom Mania took over Cornell University’s “North Star Dining,” hosting thousands of students ranging from novices to full-ﬂedge fungi fans for an educational tasting event. Students witnessed first hand the incredible versatility of mushrooms and introduced Blendability – a cooking technique in which ﬁnely chopped mushrooms are added to ground meat in a recipe to add volume and nutrients (or reduce calories). Students packed the dining hall to receive information about mushrooms, including how they are grown, different varieties and cooking techniques.
- Learn more about how the students interacted with mushrooms here.
College & University Recipes
The Blend College Recipes
- Mushroom Blended “Graffiti” Burger
- Basic Mushroom Meat Blend
- Crab and Mushroom Cakes with Chipotle Aioli
- Mushroom Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy
- Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- Mushroom, Potato and Chorizo Tacos
- Baby Bella, Caramelized Onion & Swiss Panini
- Grilled Mushroom and Chickpea Wrap with Basil
- Barbecue Pulled Mushroom Slide with Blueberry and Cabbage Slaw
- Barley and Mushroom Salad
- Chorizo Breakfast Sandwich with Mushroom Gravy
- Fennel and Mushroom Salad
- Mediterranean Napolean
- Mediterranean Orange & Couscous Salad
- Roasted Portabella Pizza
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Vegetarian Mushroom Stir Fry